Housing waiting times
It is not possible to give a definite answer as to how long it will be before you receive an offer of housing from Housing Choices WA.
- When you join the Department of Communities (Housing) Joint Wait List (JWL) – you will be added to the bottom of the particular list for the property zone and size you have been approved for. Your application will move up the list as time goes on. It is only when you get to the top of the wait list that you will be offered accommodation. This process means that all applicants must wait their turn and do not get housed ahead of others on the same wait list.
- You can not specify who you wish to be housed with and Housing Choices WA will only be able to consider you for housing if you have indicated that you are interested in being considered for Community Housing.
- If you are offered a property and you decline this offer without good reason, your application will be removed from the JWL for a period of time.
- Your application will be reviewed each year by the Department of Communities (Housing) to check that you are still eligible for, and in need of, assistance. It is very important that you return this completed review as soon as possible. If your contact details or postal address change you must advise the Department of Communities (Housing) of this so that your review is sent to the correct address.
- Remember that if your application is not included for Community Housing, Housing Choices WA will not be able to make you an offer.
- Although we have more than 1,800 properties, Housing Choices WA experiences a low vacancy rate. We will call you if we are in a position to offer you accommodation.
- We are unable to tell you where you are on the wait list and any enquires should be made to the Department of Communities (Housing).